Emil Afraid-Of-Hawk's style (A Personal Impression)

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 7 06:00:36 UTC 2006

Hello Willem, It seems also that "Watakpeya Tanka", (subtitled :
"Toni kin itowapi kicunyan oyake kin he."), a life of St. Francis
Xavier penned by Fr. George M. Schurhammer SJ, published originally
in 1925, was in fact translated into Lakota by Mr. EMIL AFRAID-OF-
HAWK, no less!  Apparently the work was republished in 1996, and
appears in the Bibliography of "Lakota", by Bruce Ingham, Lincom
Europa, 2003. Schurhammer, one reads, was a German Jesuit orientalist
historian born near Freiburg, Germany in 1882, who apparently spent
the years 1908 to 1912 in South India (Malabar Coast), and became an
authority on the great Missionary-Saint of the ("Far")-East. One's
impression is that he spent the rest of his life in the Vatican,
apart from trips to Goa, and Japan in the early '50's. (For us down
here of course, it is the "Near North"!). Toksha akhe,
Clive.
                                                     P.S. I'm not
sure of the exact sense of "kicunyan" in that subtitle above . I took
it to mean :  "(The Great Attack) :The narrative[.lit.'he tells/
reports'-presumably, nominalized] of his life (....[clothing it in?])
pictures." Buechel-Manhart is not a huge help, merely listing
"kic'úNyaN" (adverb) = "in a clothed manner.", under the well-known
verb : "kic'úN/wéc'uN", meaning "to put on/wear (clothes, etc.)" B-M.
also renders the phrase "tancan kic'unyan" [="a body dressed"]. Any
elucidation for amateurs gratefully received!