Yuecetu - Re: A great Polymath

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jul 7 19:50:15 UTC 2006

Hello Dave, Sorry for taking so long to reply: I've been rather busy.
Thanks for all of that wonderful information you so kindly supplied!
Actually I was expecting that D-S Biloxi dictionary to be fairly
difficult to use, with inconsistencies & confusions galore, not just
in orthography, judging from my experiences with other dictionaries/
grammars of yesteryear, like Rev. Cyrus Byington's Dictionary of
Choctaw, for instance. So the Einaudi treatise also has some
orthographical problems also, eh? (Actually I have applied to obtain
it on inter-library loan : when I do get it, & I have a clearer idea
of the language's basic grammatical/syntactic structures,  I may have
a go at  writing you a short letter in Biloxi.)  Thank you also for
that analysis of the Biloxi sentence : most interesting. Would one be
correct in assuming aNk to be cognate with Lakhota "wa-", (1s "actor"
pronominal prefix); with initial semivowel "weakening" to the point
of disappearance, and nasalisation also?  Is that "-k" interpolated
due to the following vowel, as in Lakhota "unk[oyaka]pi" 1pPl. of
"oyakA" [=tell; recount]? Can't think of any Lakhota analogue of
"ade" ("iya/ia" [=speak]; "iyapi"[=speech, language]??). Might "-
iNxti-" conceivably be cognate with Lakhota "-ic'i-" (reflexive
infix), or even possibly with : "iyechinka" (adv. "of one's own
accord")?? ; "-spe" seems fairly obviously a cognate of Lakhota :
"(uN/oN)spe" [= to know how to..."] ; "uNspékhiyA" [=" cause to know
how to=>teach"; "uNspéic'iciyA" [="teach oneself=>learn"] ; with  "-
ye" a causal verb formant, as in Lakhota? One supposes "YaNdi" to be
from same word-root as "chante" [=heart]; while "phi" [=good] might
have many cognates in Lakhota : "phiic'iyA" [=to make oneself
'good'=>prepare oneself/make ready]? ; "phiya" [=to make 'good'=>to
mend/repair//conjure the sick]; not to mention the many derivatives
of "phila" [=to regard as 'good'=>be glad/rejoice=>be grateful/
thankful]?? Does that reply to "YaNdi phi wo?"[=Heart good?], simply
mean "( Indeed, my) heart is good/joyful"? I wonder whether Biloxi
had an equivalent word/phrase for "goodbye/so long/see you!"
involving the equivalent of the adverb "again" &/or an indefinite
adverb of time corresponding to idea of "by and by/later on/before
long" etc., like Lakhota's : "toksha akhe" ?? Does Biloxi show a
greater or lesser degree of influence from Muskogean languages, or
rather from Tunica? Chitimacha?   Thanks also for the sample of
Rumsien Ohlone. Was it spoken in the Carmel area? Wonder if "Rowdy
Yates" had ever heard of it? :), Best wishes, Clive.