Cherokee term for 'china clay'

A.W. Tüting ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Tue Jul 11 09:09:38 UTC 2006

John,
thanks for your reply.

It is this that I wrote to Dr. L.:

"Dear Siu-Leung,
I read this press release before. I just can suggest (and hopefully
this had been done already!) to gather and save every minute detail
about who was the person 'discovering' the medal, his/her entire
personal, ethnical, educational etc. background, the very details of
when, how etc. the medal had been unearthed and, and, and... I'd
imagine that if it were one of our cases to investigate, we'd
interrogate that person for many days about each single detail in order
to exclude possible fraud. Going to the public before that might be
making it (i.e. the highly important circumstances of the discovery
itself) a 'cold case' irreversibly. IMO, all other investigations (e.g.
on the medal itself, not to speak of those moreorless speculative ones
on linguistic or geological grounds) is nothing but 'secondary
evidence' (Hilfsbeweistatsachen) and of very little value even in the
best case that the medals authenticity is proved (and not a fake). As
for me, I'm very skeptical, given the high interest in Chinese circles
worldwide (albeit at least in the sense of wishful thinking!). Also,
the fact reported by you that the 'brass' medal was not oxidated and
only covered by soil/earth(!) actually seems to be highly ominous to
me.
  I only can wish that something as important as this had already been
investigated and examined to the bottom before by real experts and not
just by enthusiastic laymen. If not, the main facts might already be
lost for ever.

  Best wishes!"

My guess was that the term 'unaker' (and there's even a mountain with
this name, i.e. Unaker Mt.) and the Chinese u-na(-ke) or such are
somewhat 'similar' in sound only (hence merely coincidental as very
often) and that there maybe the 'native' unaker actually exists in,
say, Cherokee with an etymology of its own that possibly could be
traced back and broken down. Actually the Chinese characters provided
by Dr. L. read (UTF-8) 堊泥 and do not represent a 3rd syllable/word as
it should be giving the -ke(r) of unaker. The two characters are
spelled [è ní] in Putonghua (Mandarin), a compound word that doesn't
exist (at least!) in modern language. The (separate) meanings of the
words is 'chalk' and 'mud' respectively. Also, in at least one
'southern' (i.e. Cantonese) language, the two syllables' pronunciation
is [ok-] and [naih\] respectively what is not so strikingly close to
the word given by Dr. L. (nor to unaker itself).
BTW, if there actually were a 3rd syllable in Chinese, (UTF-8) 殼 ké
could be making a lot of sense: it means 'shell', somewhat reminding me
of the Cherokee way of processing their white clay to make it smooth,
fine and flexible, adding ground/pounded shells to the mixture.

Dr. L. provided this additional information to me:

"I bought it from a metal detector hobbyist, who does not have interest
in it. He has no reason to spend the effort to fake something and
charge almost nothing for it. I went to the site and did a lot of
research in 3 months."

Alfred