Yuecetu - Re: A great Polymath

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 22:21:19 UTC 2006

Ooops, did I get that wrong on the email?  That's what I get for trying to do these things at work!  (I'm glad it's almost over!)

  Dave

"Rankin, Robert L" <rankin at ku.edu> wrote:
  > Would one be correct in assuming aNk to be cognate with Lakhota "wa-", (1s "actor" pronominal prefix); with initial semivowel "weakening" to the point of disappearance, and nasalisation also? Is that "-k" interpolated due to the following vowel, as in Lakhota "unk[oyaka]pi" 1pPl. of "oyakA" [=tell; recount]? >

No, common Siouan /wa-/ disappeared in Biloxi. Dorsey's "nk-" is probably [nasal schwa][k] and is thus a reflex of the 1st plural prefix in Dakota and other languages. In other words, the way you say "I" in Biloxi is to say "we".

> Might "-iNxti-" conceivably be cognate with Lakhota "-ic'i-" (reflexive infix)

Biloxi reflexive is ixki-/iNxki-, with cognates across Siouan.