Cherokee term for 'china clay'

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu Jul 13 15:03:52 UTC 2006

I had to take a class in "Georgia History" when I was in Junior High School and learned that kaolin (white clay) was one of Georgia's natural resources.  The teacher pronounced in [ke:olin] -- three syllables.  I never thought more about it until this thread.  I guess it's pretty clear that kaolin is a Chinese loanword in English.  I have missed part of this discussion -- what does kao lin mean in Chinese?  I assume it's pronounced [kaw lin] plus tones.

Bob