Cherokee term for 'china clay'

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Jul 15 20:06:25 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, [ISO-8859-1] A.W. Tüting wrote:
> kaolin "china clay," 1727, from Fr. kaolin (1712), from Chinese
> Kao-ling, transliteration of the name of a mountain in Jiangxi, China
> (near which it was originally dug up), from Chinese gao "high" + ling
> "mountain, hill."

Bob's pronunciation is what my cousin in Wyoming used, allowing for
English dialects.  I can't remember where he stressed it.  Initially in
think.

What about the other term - the u(k)na[ke] one?  Any evidence it was ever
used in the early ceramics trade?  I suppose we might want to consider
"coincidences" noticed by early investigators.  I recall one of the French
explorers being lambasted by a later scholar for claiming that the Dakota
word for "Sun" was "Louis."  He was more or less, right, of course.