Color Terms (Re: Cherokee term for 'china clay')

Rory M Larson rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jul 17 20:09:19 UTC 2006

Mary wrote:
> I haven't been following this discussion very closely, so maybe somebody
has already pointed this out, but there is a closely similar process in
Cree (and maybe other Algonquian languages?) - t palatalized to c occurs in

diminutive word-formation; e.g. atim 'dog', acimosis 'puppy'.  This is also

a feature of "compassionate" speech, when one is speaking to a sick child,
or such.

Interesting!  I wonder how widespread this process is in North America.
Does Dakotan also have it?

Rory