Color Terms (Re: Cherokee term for 'china clay')

Marino mary.marino at usask.ca
Mon Jul 17 23:48:57 UTC 2006

Bob is right; this literature is interesting and probably relevant to the
features we're discussing.  But when you consider that "consonantal
symbolism" is (or was) systematized in Siouan in both plain and glottalized
spirant series, and was productive in the lexicons of many (most?) of these
languages, the linguistic universal explanation seems more like a "Just So"
story and less like any sort of historical argument.  I have never found
the semantic side of this argument terribly convincing, either.  (Look at
some of the sets recorded for Hocank by Susman, and for Dakotan in the
various dictionaries.)  As for Cree, sure, a puppy is a little dog - no
problem there.  But where does the "pitiful" and "compassionate" part come
in?  Wesahkecahk sometimes talks this way in the stories, and Cree speakers
say that it sounds "pitiful" (See Wolfart in HNAI, 17, 434).  Cree speakers
have told me that it is appropriate to use the palatalized "compassionate"
style with some interlocutors, but not others.  It seems to me that these
phenomena are specific linguistic features which can function in different
ways in the lexicons and speech styles of the various languages in which
they are noted, and that, as such, they can be studied the same way we look
at other linguistic features.

Mary