Color terms and consonant symbolism

A.W. Tüting ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Wed Jul 19 10:37:53 UTC 2006

Alfred wrote:
 >> My guess is that this 'southern Chinese' u(k)na(ke) has nothing to do
with the American term 'unaker' (in the the sense that coincidentally
both terms are just - moreorless - similar in sound).<<<<

Rory wrote:
 > Alfred, before we write these words off as coincidence, can we
confirm that
the southern Chinese u(k)na(ke) word existed prior to the Ming naval
expeditions?  (Just to make sure that the borrowing was not in the other
direction.) <<

Rory, that's what my friend replied to this:

" Dear Alfred,

  I cannot confirm to you down to the timing. In southern dialect, we
seldom use "tu". We always use "na(ke)", particularly if it is mixed
with water. U(k)na(ke) is still used in Taiwan. You can do a google
search on the term. When it is colloquial, it is hard to determine the
exact period. Because once it is written, it might be different.

  I just found another piece of information. The Catawba valley potters
let their clay age, just like what the Chinese have been doing it since
ancient time. This gives more plasticity of the clay. I don't know if
other cultures does the same, or when the Catawba potters learned it.
These Catawba potters are not necessarily Catawba Indians. I think
there are no pure Catawba Indians any more because of their custom to
marry outside and their small population. "

As already mentioned here, u(k) + na(ke) would be e4 + ni2 in Putonghua
(UTF-8) 堊 (chalk) + 泥 (mud, clay). tu3 土 (soil, land, earth) or nitu 泥土
(soil) is the modern expression.

It appears that the aging process of clay mixtures seems to be a pretty
common way of processing worldwide (with regard to pottery in general
and not restricted to the production of porcelain).

Alfred