Cherokee term for 'china clay'

A.W. Tüting ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Thu Jul 20 14:59:15 UTC 2006

Dr. SLL wrote to me:

 > (...) I am also puzzled by the absence of the word unaker in Catawba.
But they call clay and pot by the same sound i-to or i-tu. Could you
ask the experts to confirm this? There is an online English-Catawba
dictionary. I am not quite sure of the notations there. <<

This statement on Catawba 'i-to', 'i-tu' (for clay or pot) seems
correct (the word list is to be found here:
http://www.angelfire.com/az2/catawba/c.html).
I'm not sure whether or not SLL is maybe speculating on the similarity
of sound to a Chinese compound word *e4 tu3 堊土 (UTF-8) which could be
broken down as 'chalk-earth'.

Alfred