Fw: Fw: language

goodtracks at peoplepc.com goodtracks at peoplepc.com
Mon Jul 31 19:03:58 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: language

Hi Jimm

The following notice appeared in my Arts and Sciences bulletin from OU. You may have already heard about it. It seems they are a bit late in doing this, but perhaps there will be some good come from it.

New Master's Degree May Save Native Languages

The Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education recently approved OU's request to offer a master's degree in applied linguistic anthropology. The program, expected to be available in the fall of 2007, will give students the opportunity to research endangered languages and understand the importance of keeping them alive.

"This program will train a new generation of scholars to continue the documentation of these languages, especially native languages in our own backyard," Chancellor Paul G. Risser said. "Oklahoma's American Indian heritage is a state treasure and we must do whatever we can to preserve it."

OU is the first university in the state to offer such a program. Currently, students in the college also can learn Cherokee, Cheyenne, Choctaw, Creek and Kiowa. According to Morris Foster, acting chair of the Department of Anthropology, a total of 462 students enrolled in these native languages during the 2005-2006 academic year.