OP dancing

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 04:03:36 UTC 2006

I hope people don't mind if a barrage of questions exudes from my corner;
I'm analysing so much text that I'm running into countless issues which no
doubt many of you have encountered before.

One thing which has just struck me is:

The OP verb for dancing is "waci gaghe" (not sure if that c is aspirated or
not). I had always assumed this was a noun plus the verb "to make." Makes
sense. But Hahn (p. 54) lists this lexeme amid her explanation of
conjugation of verbs with the ga- instrumental prefix. Of course, "gaghe"
"to make" does NOT have this prefix! If it did, we would get *aaghe -
thaaghe - gaghai - aNgaghai for the conjugations, but instead of course we
get paghe - shkaghe - gaghai - aNgaghai.

So the question is, does "waci gaghe" actually use the "make" verb, or is it
actually some other verb with the ga- prefix? I have searched through Dorsey
but nothing has caught my eye.

Thanks for your insights!

- Bryan Gordon