Cherokee term for 'china clay'

A.W. Tüting ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Thu Jul 13 10:22:35 UTC 2006

John,
thanks for your answer.
I actually was a bit hesitant about the 'colour' issue somewhat
expecting your objections ;-) yet, I don't think that - within a
certain period of time according to our context here - there are
peoples with languages actually lacking words for basic colours so
there'd be need for loans from a totally different language (e.g. like
Chinese). This, of course, doesn't mean that such terms don't change
within one language or related languages.

 >  Consider German blau, English blue, French bleu.  <

This goes back to mhg. bla(wes), ohg. and os. blao, g. blewa etc.,
maybe even l. flavus (cf. kymr. blawr).

 >  Or consider that terms for 'white' have not been particularly stable
in Italic/Romance languages over the past 2000 years or so. <

My point wasn't that they aren't underlying changes, the more when new
(daughter) languages are forming out (of certain dialects, military
jargons etc.). One example I have in mind is Romanian
_albastru/albastrã_ for 'blue', or Spanish _colorado_, _tinto_ for
'red'.

BTW, Lakota _ska_ vs. _saN_ somehow is 'mirrored' in Chinese bai2 vs.
su4 (the latter meaning 'natural white', plain, vegetarian).

For who's interested in, here's a Cherokee word list online:
http://www.wehali.com/tsalagi/index.cfm

Alfred