Color Terms (Re: Cherokee term for 'china clay')

A.W. Tüting ti at fa-kuan.muc.de
Mon Jul 17 17:46:33 UTC 2006

Am 17.07.2006 um 12:33 schrieb Koontz John E:

> On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, [ISO-8859-1] A.W. Tüting wrote:
>> Oh, I see, you're NOT referring to grue (grue + t etc.) ;-)
>
> 'Grue' is the invented word for a color term that covers the 'blue' and
> 'green' ranges.
>
>> ... going together with 'sky', qing is 'blue/azure', with
>> 'hill/mountain' it's 'green' etc. It doesn't really stand for 'black'
>> but for a deep greyish violet or such.
>
> It sounds bit like OP xude (Da xota) in the last instance.

John,

> 'Grue' is the invented word for a color term that covers the 'blue' and
> 'green' ranges.

Yes, but there's a still more sophisticated use of 'grue' (i.e. with
t=time involved), so I was a bit puzzled at first glance :)

> It sounds bit like OP xude (Da xota) in the last instance.

Would you plz tell me more about this use of 'grey'?

BTW, colours (and especially qing1 se4) are a vast field for
discussion. I'd recommend to visit this interesting discussion on a
Cantonese board here

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/phorum/read.php?1,8335,8335

on the different shades of qing (including the colour of deep black
e.g. black eyes, black hair 玄青 xuanqing, 青絲 qing si (lit.: black silk);
this term also referring to shredded green plums used in pastries).
Anyway, although being quite exaustive, the thread doesn't cover all
shades of qing :)

Alfred