SIL Not Recommending SILDoulos IPA93 Now (fwd)

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 2 00:02:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Justin McBride wrote:
> I must warn you, though, I've not had much luck at all with SIL's
> Consistent Changes program trying to implement my changes.  So I've had
> to rely on tables that I just print out and follow when I'm doing my
> mindnumbing find-and-replace tasks in Word or whatever other application
> I happen to be using.  This means that the info I would be willing to
> share may translate into a lot of work for you (like it does for me).
> But again, I'd be happy to share what I have.

That would be great, and, not for the first time, I wish we had a web site
or some such to post these on.

About Consistent Changes:  there are some other mapping programs out
there, but I've always found that they tended to be weak in handling
mapping of polygraphs to polygraphs.  I have always been driven to writing
scripts, first in SNOBOL, then in the emacs scripting language, then in
AWK, and most recently in Tcl/Tk.  I have somehow missed perl and python.

I remember a number of rule-based conversion tools apart from Consistent
Changes.  I found this looking for one I remember:

http://e-meld.org/school/classroom/conversion/index.html#1002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encoding

Here are some other tools:

http://bibledatabase.com/addon/char_map.html
http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca/

I think this one is supposed to deal with a fixed set of encodings:

http://www.gnu.org/software/recode/recode.html