Lakota term: woslata?

Jonathan Holmes okibjonathan at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 04:13:15 UTC 2006

I have seen in many texts that "Standing Rock" (i.e. Standing Rock Sioux Reservation) is translated into Lakota as Inyan Woslata.

  While I know inyan refers to "rock" or "stone", I had always understood nazin as the term used for "to stand still" or "to be standing".

  Therefore, could someone help me in determining the proper translation for woslata.

  Thanks,
  Jonathan

Be a friend...
Help support the Lakota Communities on Pine Ridge,
go to:   http://FriendsofPineRidgeReservation.org

http://mail.yahoo.com