Ofologists take note!

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 7 21:54:26 UTC 2006

>> NLSUS had a very good coverage of languages, all things considered. The
>> problem with expanding the coverage ...
>
> Maybe Willem de Reuse and/or David Costa would like to start soliciting
> manuscripts for a supplement, to be called The Other Native Languages of
> the Southeastern US, or if you don't get them all this time, maybe just
> More Native Languages of the Southeastern US.  Or you could call it Fresh
> from Harrington's Lunch Box:  Forgotten Native Languages of the
> Southeastern US though it sounds like that would be entirely unfair. All
> humor aside, this might be a good idea, at least from a Siouan-Catawban
> perspective.

Why don't you guys just publish a collection of sketches of Siouan
languages?

> How does one pronounce Atakapa, or, for that matter, Chitimacha?

'Atakapa' is like attack-uh-paw (stress on 2nd syllable), and Chitimacha is
either "sheety-muh-shaw" or "chit-ih-muh-shaw" (stress on 1st syllable).
Usually the latter. (Sorry I have to do the phonetics this way, but the IPA
does not go over email...)

Morris Swadesh wrote a superb grammar, dictionary, and text collection of
Chitimacha in the 1940's or thereabouts, but his career tanked before he
could publish it, so none of it has ever seen the light of day. Deserves to
be published.

Dave