Ofologists take note!

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Thu Jun 8 19:56:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Wallace Chafe wrote:
> I believe Mary Haas said Shitty-muh-shaw, with approximately equal stresses
> on the first and last syllables.

Thanks, Wally and David and Tony.  I heard some remarks on this once by
Karen Booker that roused my curiosity.  It seems like a good time to
pursue it.

> Although it may be justified when the origin is French, the pronunciation
> of ch as sh has recently become an annoying problem in the Santa Barbara
> area.

I once had a guide to New World Spanish pronunciation that indicated that
pronouncing ch as sh was stylish in Chile.  I believe my ex-wife may have
it now!