Ofologists take note!

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 20:10:57 UTC 2006

> I once had a guide to New World Spanish pronunciation that indicated
that pronouncing ch as sh was stylish in Chile. >

  And, the last I heard, pronouncing "ll" as "sh" had become stylish in Argentina (as opposed to the usual "zh" as in 'caballo' ka-VA-sho), but so far only among women!

  Dave

Koontz John E <John.Koontz at colorado.edu> wrote:
  On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Wallace Chafe wrote:
> I believe Mary Haas said Shitty-muh-shaw, with approximately equal stresses
> on the first and last syllables.

Thanks, Wally and David and Tony. I heard some remarks on this once by
Karen Booker that roused my curiosity. It seems like a good time to
pursue it.

> Although it may be justified when the origin is French, the pronunciation
> of ch as sh has recently become an annoying problem in the Santa Barbara
> area.

I once had a guide to New World Spanish pronunciation that indicated that
pronouncing ch as sh was stylish in Chile. I believe my ex-wife may have
it now!

http://mail.yahoo.com