Franglais

David Costa pankihtamwa at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 8 20:43:38 UTC 2006

Another example is 'Cesar Chavez', whose name is pronounced (by Anglos) as
'Shavez' with distressing frequency. I've heard it that way continuously
since the 1970's.

I think some site like language log (or someone like that) discussed this,
that there's a known pattern in English of assuming that all foreign
languages pronounce their letters like French.

The most egregious example of this is the phrase 'Bolshoi Ballet'. I read an
article a long time ago that certain American theatergoers were pronouncing
'Bolshoi' as 'Bol-SHWAH', on the model of French. Argh.

Dave