Ofologists take note!

Marino mary.marino at usask.ca
Thu Jun 8 23:10:48 UTC 2006

I remember Mary Haas pronouncing Chitimacha, with <ch> as an affricate and
the stress on the final syllable.  It stands out in my memory, because I
felt mortified in having just pronounced it with stress on the penult.  Why
on earth don't we compile a list of American native ethnonyms with their
alternative Roman spellings, and IPA renditions of acceptable
pronunciations?  How are students and young scholars (or old scholars for
that matter) supposed to know how to say these names?

Mary Marino