Ofologists take note!

Pamela Munro munro at ucla.edu
Fri Jun 9 01:55:43 UTC 2006

Now that Mary M. has reported this, I'll say (as a lurker) that hers is
the pronunciation I've heard too, possibly from Mary Haas (I can't
recall), but certainly from my teacher Margaret Langdon, who learned her
names from Mary Haas -- Ch....SHAH (i.e., like Chitty Chitty Bang
Bang...unless we should now start calling that "shitty").

Since I'm writing, I'll tell you that I'm currently attending a
conference with many ethnic Chumash people, and still lots of people are
saying SHOEmash. Arg.

Pam

--
Pamela Munro,