How to pronounce things

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sat Jun 10 15:08:12 UTC 2006

Beats the heck out of me.  All 4 words have the same vowel to me.  At least I think they do.  But then, so do Merry, Marry and Mary, so maybe I just speak an impoverished dialect.
Bob

> Willem and Bob make me feel a little better about my memory. Maybe I
assimilated the uncensored version before it was cleaned up. But now how
about the final syllable? My preference is for -shah, but is -shaw a
regional variant, as also in Atakapa, and in pa 'dad' pronounced as paw?
And how about Arkansas?