(in)direct reports in Siouan

Daniel Altshuler daltshul at rci.rutgers.edu
Sun Jun 11 02:43:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

Recently, Randy told me about an interesting restriction concerning
(in)direct reports in Crow of the type:
"Danica said/thought/knew that Falisha was sick". Apparently,
when "said" or "think" is used,  the report *must* be direct (i.e. in
quotes); this is not the case with e.g. "know".

I was wondering if other Siouan languages are subject to the same
restrictions. Has anyone done any work on this topic? Also,
I wonder if there are verbs closely related to "said"
and "think" (e.g. "tell", "concieve", etc.) that function differently.
For example, is the "said" that is only used in direct reports
similar (semantically) to "utter" in English? What about other attitude
report verbs like "realize", "believe", "remember", "see", "feel", etc.?

Kind regards,
Daniel

Daniel Altshuler
Department of Linguistics