"irregular" muN, nuN (fwd)

REGINA PUSTET pustetrm at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 14 06:56:39 UTC 2006

> I’d remove chaNnuNpA ‘to smoke’ which has reduplicated forms for 1
  and 2
  > SG from the list, this is an idiosyncratic pattern.

              I don't understand.  'I smoke' is, as far as I remember,
  chanumuNpa, chanu - m -uNpa; how is that reduplicated?   The second
  person
  looks reduplicated (chanu-nuNpa), but I think that's just the "n"
  pronoun
  appearing where it's supposed to go.

  The third person of ‘to smoke’ is chaNnuNpa. If the verb were a regular m-/n-verb, the third person would have to be chaNnu’uNpa to get first and second person chaNnumuNpa and chaNnunuNpa. We could actually posit chaNnu’uNpa as basic root and analyze the third person as a contracted form, but still, we need that contraction rule which moves this verb a little farther away from being a ‘regular’ m-/n-verb. The transitive version uNpa ‘to smoke (a pipe etc.)’ has first person muNpa, second person nuNpa and is therefore a ‘regular’ m/n-verb.

  Thinking about this a little more, I found that echiN ‘to think’ is not a particularly regular m/n-verb either (1SG echaNmi, 2SG echaNni). I did with these m-/n- verbs exactly what Linda did with the Assiniboine correspondences: I listed them separately in the grammar, each with its full paradigm.

  In the
  English
  cases you provide, you have to memorize the whole paradigm, even though
  you can find more examples here and there.  So you do get a pattern in
  the
  past of brought/taught/fought, but there's no predictability of any
  other
  form in any paradigm.  The present of "taught" is teach, not *ting, and
  while "fight" goes with "fought", "write" does not become "wrought".
  You
  don't even get to count on the vowels all the time: "saw" is past, but
  "draw" is present.  So I think there's a difference in quality between
  the
  minor pattern in Lakota and the verbs which I, too, would call
  irregular
  in English.

  My English examples were not particularly illustrative because, as you say, there are no predictable patterns emerging. But I’m sure these are there. For instance, there is a mini-class which contains lead-led, feed-fed, bleed-bled, meet-met, etc., where the vowel changes regularly in analogous environments.

  Regina

ROOD DAVID S <rood at spot.Colorado.EDU> wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, REGINA PUSTET wrote:

> I've just checked on my Lakota grammar files and found that the rule “m-
> ‘1SG’/n- ‘2SG’ with vowel- or y-initial verbs with subsequent nasalized
> vowel” holds up, all in all. But we should say that the vowel or the y
> do not have to be verb-initial, they just have to be where the
> affixation slot for m-/n- is, cf. iyuNg°A 'ask', a verb that you quoted.

I didn't edit that rule down carefully enough -- you're right. I
meant to take out the "vowel initial" and leave "when the pronoun precedes
a nasalized vowel (with or without an intervening "y"); I got the second
half in but forgot to do the delete.

> I’d remove chaNnuNpA ‘to smoke’ which has reduplicated forms for 1 and 2
> SG from the list, this is an idiosyncratic pattern.

I don't understand. 'I smoke' is, as far as I remember,
chanumuNpa, chanu - m -uNpa; how is that reduplicated? The second person
looks reduplicated (chanu-nuNpa), but I think that's just the "n" pronoun
appearing where it's supposed to go. Many of these verbs have a vowel
before the "m" or "n" that is absent in the third person (echuN,
ech_a_mu); Allan always wanted to claim the vowel was in the UR and
deleted in the third person (so our pedagogical stuff has 'to do' as
echa'uN). That's clearly more abstract that is currently fashionable.

The real exception
> to the rule I found is waNyaNkA ‘to see’ which satisfies the rule but
> has bl-/l- for 1./2. SG. Plus lack of nasalization of the second A.

WaNyaNka is an example of something Trudi Patterson described as
"nasal leaking" (I think that was her term). There is a tendency for
nasalization to "leak" across /y/ in either direction, unless the /y/ is
in an affix. You see this often in first person non-singular verbs; 'we
go' is often uNyaNpi rather than uNyapi; that holds for all the
causatives, too -- theb'uNyaNpi from thebyapi.. The second "a" in 'see'is
not an underlying nasal vowel, as demonstrated by the fact that it does
not take nasalized pronouns, and it loses its nasal whenever something
separates it from the initial waN- syllable. Weirdly, however, I seem to
recall other dialects or languages in which the cognate of this verb had
the inherent nasal on the second vowel and none on the first.

> On the irregularity issue in general I would say that irregularity is
> a matter of degree, of course, when the number of class members which
> inflect a certain way is the defining criterion. The extreme case would
> be limiting 'irregularity' to a class that has one member, as in the
> case of Lakota eyA 'to say'. Fine with me. But then, the most widespread
> usage of the term 'irregular inflection' in traditional grammar writing
> seems to refer simply to a class that is smaller than the largest
> competing class. Example: past tense in English. -ed forms constitute
> the major class, compared to which stuff like bring-brought,
> teach-taught, fight-fought forms a phonemically uniform minor class. And
> such forms are normally called 'irregular' in the literature, to my
> knowledge. Of course there are additional 'minor' ways of forming
> 'strong' past tenses in English, as in see-saw, which is phonemically
> divergent from the -ought/-aught pattern above. Its a matter of taste if
> we posit many
> minor or 'irregular' classes here or one big one, on the basis of
> whether we have -ed or something else, soemthing that's less
> predictable.
> In a synchronic description of a language, establishing inflectional
> classes on the basis of historical criteria, like possible epenthetic
> y´s in Lakota, may be problematic. And this is particulalry true of
> indigenous languages where historical and/or reconstructed data might be
> hard to come by. In my Lakota grammar draft I didn't even try to do that
> because I don't get enough descriptive mileage out of it. The main
> thing, to me, is providing a more or less complete classification of
> inflectional verb types, no matter what the exact arrangement of these
> types/classes in the script may be.
>
> Anyway, I never fight over terminology. :-)

I'm in agreement with the refusal to fight over terminology, but
there's something inherently scary about the term "irregular"; to me it
means you have to memorize more parts of the paradigm than usual, one item
at a time. In the Lak. case under discussion, everything follows from
knowing the first and third singular forms -- and that is also true for
all the other conjugation classes except for 'to say'. (in some cases
you need the "uN(k)" form too, to be complete, of course.) In the English
cases you provide, you have to memorize the whole paradigm, even though
you can find more examples here and there. So you do get a pattern in the
past of brought/taught/fought, but there's no predictability of any other
form in any paradigm. The present of "taught" is teach, not *ting, and
while "fight" goes with "fought", "write" does not become "wrought". You
don't even get to count on the vowels all the time: "saw" is past, but
"draw" is present. So I think there's a difference in quality between the
minor pattern in Lakota and the verbs which I, too, would call irregular
in English.

I just wish I really did understand the reasons behind all the
-mn- first person forms. I don't have the foggiest idea where 'run' comes
from, for example.

Best,
David

http://mail.yahoo.com