Lakota chaNnuNpa

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Sat Jun 24 10:03:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, ROOD DAVID S wrote:
> echa-m-uN 'I do' is echuN, and echamiN 'I think" is echiN.

In Omaha-Ponca the latter is a'=zaN=miN 'I think', a'=z^a=z^iN 'you
think', vs. a'=z^=iN 'he thinks'.  The a'=z^a= matches e=c^ha= well enough
to suggest *DEM=ya=.

> It doesn't happen in iyuNga/imuNge because of the /y/.

I think this is *i=(r)uNge, with intrusive *r > y in the third person,
right? It's like (same structure, not same gloss) OP i'maNghe 'I ask him
about it', i'z^aNghe 'you ask him about it' vs. i'dhaNghe 'he asks him
about it'.  It's neat when little details match across fairly different
languages!

Not surprizingly, Osage likes ipraNghe for the first person of 'ask one
about' (per LaFlesche, anyway).  This illustrates the route by which
Dakotan likely gets the n's in the second person of this paradigm.