Lakota chaNnuNpa and irregularity.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sat Jun 24 20:07:27 UTC 2006

I wonder if, in fact, the "extra" /u/ in 'to smoke' isn't /o-/ the locative prefix?  It would raise in the nasal environment.

As for "irregular" verbs, I think I'd stick to calling all of the stems that use consonantal actor pronominal prefixes 'irregular'.  In most instances they all contrast with regular pronominals used in the same environment.  In Dakotan there is:

wa-?uN contrasting with m-uN (same root but different verbs).

Similarly, Dakotan Y-stems typically take /b-/ in the 1st person, but a few, notably causative, require /wa-/ and thus contrast.  The fact that the /y/ of causative was epenthetic is unfortunately not recoverable by speakers.

H-stems sometimes take /wa-/ and sometimes /p-/ in the 1st person.

Generally speaking, the consonantal pronominals (syncopating stems) are so ancient that virtually all of them have become semi-productive and thus "irregular" in the ordinary sense.  It's only possible to say that they "used to be" completely phonologically conditioned.