A great Polymath

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jun 24 22:11:52 UTC 2006

Dear Bruce, Toniktuka kwo? Nis eya "Hokahe, tanyan yahi yelo" kin he
emayakiye kin he un wopila tanka eciciye lo! Thank you also for all
of your indispensible contributions to Lakota scholarship, and also
for that study of Najdi Arabic. I "did" a year of Classical Arabic
back in 1975, under the great polymath/philologist Reader/Doctor ALAN
TRELOAR, at the Uni. of New England, Armidale, N.S.W., Australia.
[ Or perhaps that should have read: "Class. Arabic" DID (for)
me! :)] .That year, I recall that we completed all the grammar &
exercises in Heywood & Nahmad's Grammar of Classical Arabic, and were
just beginning to read the Qur'anic texts, and texts from Ibn
Battuta's Travels at the end of that book. He was absolutely rigorous
in his high standards. Do you know of him? I believe he is still
teaching, at a very venerable age : I hope so - a gentleman & scholar
of the old school :). He had been in Military Intelligence working on
codes during WWII, and told me once that he had been sent to Iceland
as official interpreter on some wartime expedition, or other.
Apparently his profound scholarly mastery of Old Norse (Pre-war
"Oxbridge"-style!), enabled him to "bone up" on modern spoken
Íslendzka in very short order (a few months, I believe, or maybe it
was a matter of weeks)! Don't know if he ever studied Siouan
languages, but would not be in the least surprised if he had followed
in the footsteps of the prodigious Hans Conon von der Gabelentz in
meticulously mastering  "Dakota Sprache", he was that sort of all-
rounder. To my certain knowledge, at that time, he was teaching at
tertiary level, Ancient Greek & Latin, Sanskrit, Classical Chinese,
Biblical Hebrew, Classical Arabic, Anglo-Saxon, Old High German, and
had reading knowledge of about 50 others, including ALL Indo-Eur.
European languages.  Truly, "They were giants in those days!". Thanks
again for welcoming me so warmly, and best wishes to all members
here!, Clive.