Unicode Siouan fonts.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Sun Jun 25 22:40:26 UTC 2006

I've looked at all of the SIL Unicode fonts that are available for download that include symbols for

glottal stop
J-hacek
O-ogonek

that are typically missing from Courier, Times New Roman, and (for at least one of the symbols) from Ariel and other fonts bundled with Windows.  These other fonts plus the three above, have all the rest of the symbols necessary to replicate all the commonly used Siouan symbols.

Of these I like Gentium and Doulos-SIL best.  Charis looks good when the type is small, but when it is larger, the font looks klunky to me.  Charis also looks like it has a wider line spacing.  But folks should look over these three (they're all free) and we should probably settle on one or another of them.  All produce acceptable-looking bold, italic and bold-italic as well as plain typefaces.

If there is a desire to select a single symbol set for the volume(s), that will need to be done in the future.  Mithun's "green book" was mentioned as a possible source, but she does not, in fact specify a preferred set.  She has a table summarizing many different sets in the front of the volume.