OP velar fricative orthography

Bryan Gordon linguista at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:47:27 UTC 2006

The following is (again) Unicode encoded because Hahn did not use NetSiouan,
and itʼs important to be able to see her judgments for what they were.
Again, you may need to copy and paste so you can use an appropriate font. My
apologies to the list!

On 6/27/06, Rory M Larson <rlarson at unlnotes.unl.edu> wrote:

> Thereʼs also something
> to be said for the fact that Hahn, for one, did hear and note such
> distinctions as /xð ɣð/.
>

> Thanks for the tip; I was not aware of that.  If that's true, then my
> "point" stands corrected, and we will have to start checking for that as
> well.  Do you have any sample words that we could test?
>
> Here you go, Rory. Note that the majority of these examples use the voiced
fricative; this suggests to me that Hahn may have heard a lenition effect
from the voiced fricative/approximant, and the distinction may not be
phonemic. The only vowel that is attested after both clusters in Hahn's data
is u: otherwise we have the voiced velar before front vowels and the
unvoiced velar before back vowels. Of course the sample is not large enough
to draw any conclusions, but maybe eliciting some of these might lead you on
to trying still other example words not in Hahn's list.

Voiced-voiceless opposition in OP clusters (from Hahn/anon):

Note: Each of the data is presented in Hahnʼs orthography, with a more
modern version in square brackets afterward. Be sure to note Hahnʼs
meticulous attention to three degrees of length (which seems to line up well
with the Kaw data we saw at the conference): the ubiquitous ˑ means *
half-long*, while ː means *long*; the apostrophe is used as Hahn uses it for
an accent marker.

"The *ð*-phoneme is a voiced dental fricative resembling the English sound
in *that*. It occurs initially when preceding the vowels *a*, *i*, *e*, *u*,
*ą*, *į*, and forms the second element of the clusters *bð*, *gð*, *ȟ**ð*, *
ǧ**ð*." (p. 12)

baǧðuˑ'de *to push apart*; baǧðu'ǧðude *reduplicated form *(p. 22)

       [baghthúde baghthúghthude]

binaˑ'ǧðį *to make fire *(p. 24)

       [binághthiⁿ]

muˑʼnaǧðį *to light a fire, make sparks *(p. 27)

       [múnaghthiⁿ]

teĭhuʼǧðabeʼ *diaphragm *(p. 34)

       [te-húghthabe]

ȟðabeĭʼkʻe *the tree* (p. 39)

       [xthabé-kʰe]

ȟðabeĭʼtʻe *the tree* (p. 40)

       [xthabé-tʰe]

uˑʼǧðuǧahaðą *the bag *(p. 41)

       [úghthughaha-thaⁿ]

ȟðabeĭʼge *the trees* (p. 40)

       [xthabé-ge]

ǧðeĭgeʼ *to tatoo *(p. 49)

       [ghthegé]

gaǧðiʼ *to whip *(p. 51)

       [gaghthí]

naˑʼǧðį *to be in flames* (p. 57)

       [nághthiⁿ]

ðiȟðuʼ *to dig up something *(p. 61)

       [thixthú]

uːʼȟðe *to catch up with someone*

       uwaˑʼȟðe – uðaˑʼȟðe – uːʼȟðai – ąguːʼȟðai (p. 76)

       [úxthe – uáxthe – utháxthe – úxthai – aⁿgúxthai]

Paradigm for dative of *thixthú* given on pp. 82-83: [Note that Hahn hears
accented *wé* gliding strongly to *a* instead of *i* in 1-plural forms]

ðiȟðuʼ *to dig up something*

       iðeĭˑʼwibðiȟðu [ithéwibthixthu] *I dug it up for you*

       iˑʼwibðiȟðu [íwibthixthu] *I dug it up for you*

       iðeĭˑʼbðiȟðu [ithébthixthu] *I dug it up for him*

       weăʼgibðiȟðu [wéagibthixthu] *I dug it up for them*

       įðįˑʼðanįȟðuʼ [iⁿthíⁿthanixthu] *you dug it up for me*

       iðeĭˑʼðanįȟðuʼ [ithéthanixthu] *you dug it up for him*

       weăʼðaginįȟðuʼ [wéathaginixthu] *you dug it up for us*

       weĭˑʼðaginįȟðuʼ [wéthaginixthu] *you dug it up for them*

       įðįˑʼðiȟðuʼ [iⁿthíⁿthixthu] *he dug it up for me*

       iˑʼðiðiȟðuˑʼwi [íthithixthui] *he dug it up for you*

       iˑʼgiðiȟðuʼwi [ígithixthui] *he dug it up for him*

       weăʼgiðiȟðuˑʼwi [wéagithixthui] *he dug it up for us*

       weĭˑʼðiȟðuwi [wéthixthui] *he dug it up for them*

       įðįˑʼðiðiȟðuʼwi [iⁿthíⁿthithixthui] *we dug it up for you*

       įðįˑʼðiȟðuʼwi [iⁿthíⁿthixthui] w*e dug it up for him*

       weăʼgiðiȟðuʼwi [wéagithixthui] *we dug it up for them*