Lakota short sentence? ["mini"-Lakhota course!]

Clive Bloomfield cbloom at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jun 30 22:54:08 UTC 2006

Hello Jonathan, I believe I can translate your sentence for you : It
IS certainly Lakota, and one translation might be : "SOON YOU (sg.)
WILL/MAY BURST INTO LAUGHTER, PERHAPS."      I will transcribe and
gloss, first in traditional spelling, then, between Right Slash
Marks, into so-called "Net-Siouan" format, in order to reflect
pronunciation less approximately. NB : Acute accent marks stressed
syllable. [ "ecanni"=>/echáNni/, Adverb, meaning "soon; early";
["anayapsa kte" =>/anáyaps^a (kte)/, Finite VERB, 2pS., meaning :
"You (Sg.) (will/shall) break/burst into laughter ("which had
previously been suppressed"  Buechel/Manhart, 2002, s.v.)  ("kte" [a
form of "ktA" -See below]) : Future/Intentional Modal Enclitic
Suffix. Here, in effect, marking "future tense". )]; "sece" =>/séce/
(a form of "secA") : Another "Epistemic" (Ingham, 2003, 4.7.1.) Modal
Encl. Suff. denoting Possibility and/or Probability. Should further
explication of force/operation of these Enclitic Suffixes be needed,
(in word-order they conform to a sort of "order-of-precedence
hierarchy"), see : Ingham (ibid. Section 4.7, pp.28-33)); also
Section 10 (pp. 473-476) of David S. Rood & Alan R. Taylor's "Sketch
of Lakhota, a Siouan Language", in Vol. 17 ("Languages" :Ives Goddard
[ed.]) of "Handbook of North American Languages", Washington :
Smithsonian Institution,( Wm. C. Sturtevant, [ed.])  (1996) : pp.
440-482.       Finally, a short "Key" to Net-Siouan Transcr. above : /
N/ marks preceeding vowel as Nasalised; /s^/=Engl."sh-" as in
"shop"; /A/ denotes a final vowel which is subject to certain changes
("ABLAUT"), conditioned by nature of immediately following word, or
under certain other conditions, such as being "clause-final" : here,
both "kta" and "seca" suffer this change from "a" to "e". (N.B. : to
fully understand this, you would have to learn Lakhota!) Hope this is
of some assistance to you Jonathan. Perhaps I have either assumed too
much, or too little! :-) BTW, Net-Siouan is a set of orthographical
conventions devised for writing Lakhota on the "Net", used by some.
Regards, Clive Bloomfield.