SCLC Update II

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Sat Jun 3 00:00:29 UTC 2006

Hi, everyone.  The following have indicated to me that they will be attending
the SCLC: Randy Graczyk, Ted Grimm, John Koontz, Jimm Good Tracks, Johannes
Helmbrecht, Douglas Ball, Carolyn Quintero, Bob Rankin, Rory Larson, Bruce
Ingham, Linda Cumberland, Sara Trechter, Mary Marino, Bryan Gordon, and Hu
Matthews.  Did I miss anyone?

The following is a preliminary list of papers:

Johannes Helmbrecht: "Applicatives in Siouan"
Douglas Ball: "Accounting for Affrication and Fortition in Wichita"
Bruce Ingham: "Cross-Language Contact between Cree and Lakota"
Bruce Ingham: "T-Words in Siouan"
Jimm Good Tracks: "The Changing Phonics of IOM"
John Koontz: "Plural Marking in the Siouan Languages"
Ted Grimm: "The Case for Missouri River Siouan"
Daniel Antshuler: "Filling the gap: Quantity insensitive iambs and the
typology of feet"
                                (based on Osage data) (read in absentia)

In addition, Bob will be reading a paper on the phonology of Kansa written by
a KU stndent who has done an instrumental study of Kansa accent.  Did I miss
anyone?

At Crow Agency on Saturday we will have a presentation by Lanny Real Bird
that incorporates sign language in a comparison of Crow and Hidatsa, and also one
on the Crow hymns that are used in various churches on the reservation.

Regarding meals: for those who expressed an opinion, the consensus seems to
be to eat lunch only on campus.  Of course, individuals are free to opt out of
this arrangement.  I will be talking to the food people on Monday or Tuesday
to see what we can line up.

Randy