Ofologists take note!

BARudes at aol.com BARudes at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 15:30:10 UTC 2006

The omission of Ofo and various other languages of the Southeast is only one
of several weaknesses in Native Languages of the Southeastern United States
that I note in a forthcoming review in Anthropological Linguistics. Heather and
Janine tried their best to be inclusive of all of the languages of the
Southeast, but for a variety reasons individuals who were asked to contribute
sketches of other languages did not produce. I am guilty, for example, of not
producing a sketch of Catawba for the book. I passed on their request to Frank
Siebert who was unable to pull himself away from his Penobscot research often enough
to complete the sketch.

Speaking of Catawba, Bob informed me of the SCLC workshop several months ago
and asked me to attend to comment where appropriate on similarities and
differences between Siouan and Catawba grammar. Unfortunately, I will not be able to
attend the workshop. I have been invited to the summer picnic and field-days
of the Tuscarora Indian Nation to receive a community service award during the
first week of July, and I cannot afford to go both to Montana and New York
back-to-back. On the good news side of things, the draft of my grammar of
Catawba is under review by the University of South Carolina press and I have been
promised an answer by the end of July as to whether the press will publish it.

I hope the SCLC and the workshop go well.

Blair