Ofologists take note!

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Thu Jun 8 00:00:59 UTC 2006

Quoting David Kaufman <dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com>:

> Overall, I do find Native Languages of the Southeastern United States
> excellent and useful.  I especially like the section on Cherokee
> which does a good job of summarizing such a complex language.  It is
> heavily weighted toward the Muskogean languages, which is great for
> those of us wanting to know more about that family.  It's too bad
> more of the Southeastern Siouan languages aren't included, but of
> course that's understandable given the paucity of material available
> on the languages.  Perhaps, now that I'm working on it, a Biloxi
> sketch can be included in a future edition.
>
>  Dave
>
> David Costa <pankihtamwa at earthlink.net> wrote:
>  By 'omission of Ofo' do we mean omitted from the index, or the fact
> that Ofo doesn't have a sketch in Native Languages of the
> Southeastern United States? If it's the fact that it doesn't have a
> sketch, that certainly seems excusable, since there's such a skimpy
> corpus on the language.
>
> I'd actually like to say some words in favor of NLSUS -- I think it's
> a great book. It has EIGHT language sketches in it (plus two pieces
> on Proto-Muskogean). How many books these days have that many
> language sketches in them? It has a sketch of every branch of
> Muskogean except Mikasuki (which I do wish had been included). And,
> as an Americanist philologist, I have to say that Kimball's sketch of
> long-extinct Natchez (taken entirely from Haas's old fieldnotes) is
> brilliant.
>
> The reason why Catawba wasn't included in the book reminds me of the
> story of why there are no sketches of any Southeastern languages in
> the Language volume of HNAI. The story as I heard it was that the
> southeastern language in the book was supposed to be a Creek sketch
> by Mary Haas. However, by the time Mary was assigned that essay, she
> was essentially retired and not really doing linguistics anymore, and
> so the sketch never got written. By the time it became obvious that
> it wasn't going to happen, it was too late to reassign it to anyone
> else, hence the rather conspicuous gap in the volume's geographic
> coverage.
>
> Dave

I agree with the two Daves above.  It is a great book, I am really
looking forawrd in particular to the Caddo, Natchez, and Quapaw
sketches, and I am pleased that my little Ofo comment started a
discussion of Southeastern languages here.  Enjoyed the Chitimasha
discussion.  I remember seeing Gatschet spelling it Shetimasha, which
confirms Mary Haas's pronunciation.

Willem