Yellowstone or Yellow what?

shokooh Ingham shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 20 21:41:39 UTC 2006

I would like again to thank Randy for organizing and
hosting a very interesting Siouan-Caddoan conference
this year.  I apologize for not attending all the
papers as I had my daughter and granddaughter there,
who enjoyed the visit immensely.  While on the Crow
reservation with Randy, he mentioned that the name
Yellowstone may result from a misinterpretation of a
Crow word meaning something else.  I thought this was
very interesting and wonder if Randy could tell me the
details again ie what is the probable Crow source of
the name and what would it mean?

Bruce