How Great You Are

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Tue Jun 27 19:15:49 UTC 2006

Carl Masthay sent this Dakota version of a hymn.  "How Great Thou Art"
is the English of the title that I'm familiar with.  Carl was wondering
how close he had come to rendering the Dakota text.  As was explained at
the Siouan Conference in the presentation on music, renditions of hymns in
Siouan languages are seldom literal translations of the nominal original.
They tend to be riffs on some of the salient sentiments, and the music may
be fairly freely adapted, too.

It occurred to me that this sort of thing is meat and drink to some of the
list members.  Feel free to reply direct to Carl and Lee.

John E. Koontz
http://spot.colorado.edu/~koontz