[Spam:0007 SpamScore] Re: Dakotan T-words and there equivalents in Siouan

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon May 1 19:05:26 UTC 2006

Bruce,

I suspect you didn't get the Quapaw set, as both those below are the Kaw.  I sent the Quapaw set to a slightly different email address that was in my Address Book -- it must have been one you were using last year.  Maybe it is your wife's email address.

I'll try to resend the Quapaw from my "sent messages file".

Bob

> I think I got a bit confused between the Quapaw and
the Kaw, when I was trying to fit it all into my data.
 I now think I know what is Kaw, after Justin's
intervention, but I'm but sure which is the Quapaw.
Below is what I have got down.  Could you let me know
if I'm very wrong anywhere.  Don't worry about the
transcription if it comes out looking nonsensical at
the other end.  I think it is OK this end

Kansa or Kaw
hanaska         'how big, what size'
hakhá_          how far, how long'
háyo_ska                how big, what size
athaaha         'how deep'
hána_                   'how many, how much
hana, hano, hanomucte
'how many, much'
athakka         'how tall'
dáada_                  'what'
ha, ho, hotha, tatta    'what, why'

hakhá_da, hagójida_, athatta                    'when (future)'
hakhá_go                        'when, at what point of time'
hagóha,  hakidede               'where, in which direction'
ówage`ji                        'where, to what places'
wiá_ma                  'which, which one'
be, howa                        'who'
háago, hagó haki, hanitta, honitta              'why'

Quapaw
háyoska                         'how big, what size'
hakha?                  'how far, how long, when'
hána                            'how many, how much'
hagójida                        'when, at the time, because'
hakha?go                        'when, at what point or time'
hakha?ada, -a?          'when, at what future time?
hówage`ji                       'where, to what places'
hagóha                  'whither , where to'
wia?ma                  'which, which one'
háagohagó                       'why'

Bruce