"WOUND"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Wed May 3 19:09:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Koontz John E wrote:
> On Mon, 1 May 2006, Justin McBride wrote:
> > u, v. to wound
> >
> > awá e aú, I have wounded it (=á-u-á-ye aú ?)
> > yúa e aú, hiN, have you wounded it?

> Pursuing your logic, which starts with Dorsey's and takes it a step or two
> further, the forms here are something like
>
> A1      a-o   a e au   I should have written a-(o) a e au.  JEK
> A2   y(a)-o   a e au
> A3        o-be    au

I wondered momentarily about Ks yo anent PMV *yo 'you wound'.  However, Ks
has regular A2 ya < PDH *dha (*ra) < PMV *ra.  Ks has z^ from PDh *z^ <
PMV *y.  Ks has z^ in the second person of ?-stems like the rest of
Dhegiha, not y.  In other words, the full PS second person active pronoun
*ya and the short form *y diverge in Dhegiha and in MV generally.

I suppose it's possible, however, that the -a- bit is the old theme vowel
(-e in *oo-e), but that doesn't explain e, and we'd have to assume that
this fossil theme vowel was lost before the plural/proximate marker.

A1     a-o-a    e au
A2  y(a)-o-a    e au
A3       o=b(i) e

For what it's worth, this back and forth analysis and counter analysis of
the stuff after the verb reminds a lot of the state of Dorsey's notes on
OP.

At least I hypothesize that we will be able to figure out the ae by
comparing with "other short verbs" on the one hand and things that like a
punctual reading (like push, shove, spit, throw, etc.) on the other.