2006 SCLC: Announcement and Call for Papers

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Wed May 3 19:42:49 UTC 2006

Quoting shokooh Ingham <shokoohbanou at yahoo.co.uk>:

> Dear Randy
> I attach an abstract
> Yours
> Bruce
> --- Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:

Dear Bruce:

Thank you for attaching this very interesting abstract. Since I am not
gonna be able to attend the conference, I wanted to point out to you
one phonetic (not phonological) similarity between Cree and Lakota.
Sometimes [k] sounds very postvelar, like IPA [q], in the environment
of [a].  Compare Cree peyak [peyaq] 'one' (at least as pronounced by
Buffy Sainte Marie) with Lakota kaka [qaqa] 'baby's word for
grandfather' (as pronounced by an Oglala woman).

I don't know what other languages do with their [k]s in the Northern Plains.

All the best,

Willem de Reuse