"WOUND"

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Thu May 4 15:32:00 UTC 2006

That's a really good point.  David is probably on the right track, and by extension, the conservative (unattested) form for 'I wounded it' would then probably be *[b-o].  The only problem beside the lack of a form [uNk?ipi] is the consistent initial /h/ in 'come' in many of the other languages.  But as I think we've said before, that H is probably an analogical development based on /hi/ 'arrive'.

It remains to check the 1st du. and pl. forms of 'come' in Chiwere, Dhegiha, etc., although the 1st pl. forms, as I think John said, are notoriously poor preservers of [?].

Bob

Bob, is the verb 'come', "u" in Lakota, a ?-stem?  It isn't in Lak.
itself, because the first plural is unkupi, not unk?upi, but I don't know
whether you reconstruct a difference between a vowel-initial and a ?
initial root to PSi.
        The reason this is relevant is that the compound hiyu 'start
coming' is, in the "archaic" language of 70-100 years ago, double
conjugated wahibu, yahilu (no one does this today as far as I know).  I
can't find my copy of Riggs at the moment, to check on whether the bare
verb was ever conjugated bu, du or not; Buechel gives only wau ([wa?u]).
        David

David S. Rood
Dept. of Linguistics
Univ. of Colorado