"WOUND"

Koontz John E John.Koontz at colorado.edu
Fri May 5 01:41:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006, ROOD DAVID S wrote:
> Bob, is the verb 'come', "u" in Lakota, a ?-stem?  It isn't in Lak.
> itself, because the first plural is unkupi, not unk?upi, but I don't know
> whether you reconstruct a difference between a vowel-initial and a ?
> initial root to PSi.
> 	The reason this is relevant is that the compound hiyu 'start
> coming' is, in the "archaic" language of 70-100 years ago, double
> conjugated wahibu, yahilu (no one does this today as far as I know).  I
> can't find my copy of Riggs at the moment, to check on whether the bare
> verb was ever conjugated bu, du or not; Buechel gives only wau
> ([wa?u]).

I agree entirely that -u in hiyu looks like an oral gottal stop stem.  It
even has an epenthetic -y- in the third person.  However, *?u (*hu ?)
seems to be a special case.

In addition, in Dakotan the vertitive is ku, not *khu.  In fact, the
vertitive stem is consistent with *ku elsewhere in Siouan, I think, cf.
OP gi.  But i < *hi 'arrive there', cf. OP hi, has a vertitive khi, cf. OP
khi.

Further confirmation that ?-stems have k-derivatives in k, not k? (or kh)
is found in OP egaN 'be like that' (A1 egimaN, A2 egiz^aN, A3 egaN) which
seems to be historically a dative 'thus wrt that' of e-aN 'thus; how is it
that', based on the protean *?uN 'do, make'.

However, some Dhegiha forms - I'd have to look them up - treat the stem
as h-initial, e.g, I think Ks has A1 phu, A2 s^u, A3 hu, but vertitive gu,
if I'm remembering this rightly.  OP has A1 phi, A2 s^i, but A3 i and
vertitive gi.  The OP i, not *hi is a surprise in an h-stem, but
consistent with a ?-stem.

So Dakotan (hi)bu may well show the original form of the glottal stop stem
inflection in the first person.