WHICH IS IT?

Mark J Awakuni-Swetland mawakuni-swetland2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri May 5 12:50:35 UTC 2006

Jimm,
The speakers routinely described the tailed-c as being either /s/ or /z/
in the F&LaF system. Grandma Elizabeth probably ignored the Omaha
spelling, looked at the English gloss (or context of the word), and
rendered the appropriate sound.

So, tailed-ci could be 'zi' yellow, or 'si' foot.

Not very useful for students who don't know the underlying possibilities.

One particular example had stumped us for many years -- a female personal
name that appears in several Omaha clans.

noN tailed-ce iN tailed-ce

noNseiNse?
noNseiNze?
noNzeiNse?
noNzeiNze?

None of my speakers could recall anyone with the name as a model for
pronunciation.

An Omaha tribal member who transferred to UNL last fall and got into our
Omaha language class recognized it as belonging to one of his elder female
relatives. It turns out the the fourth rendereing was it. Who could have
known based upon the 2-sound possibilities for the tailed-c.

washkoN-ga-ho!
Uthixide

Omaha Nation Public School and UNL have routinely been changing the
tailed-c to the appropriate /z/ or /s/.

Perhaps others on the List can address the /th/ question.

<goodtracks at peoplepc.com>
Sent by: owner-siouan at lists.colorado.edu
05/04/2006 11:15 AM
Please respond to
siouan at lists.colorado.edu

"siouan at lists.colorado.ed" <siouan at lists.colorado.edu>
cc

Subject
WHICH IS IT?

In LaFleche's Osage Dicionary and Mark S's Omaha Lexicon, both use Dorsey
"c" with a cedilla.
LaFleche's phonetic key has reads:  "C (+ cedilla)  as in thin"
Mark's pronunciation guide has:  "C (+ cedilla) sounds like s in the word
say."

Which way is it? Are they both correct?