"WOUND"

David Kaufman dvklinguist2003 at yahoo.com
Sat May 6 18:01:07 UTC 2006

Randy,

  > There are several other 'shooting' verbs in Crow with initial oo: oo'xeechi 'pierce through by shooting', o'oxexawi 'shot up' (stative), and oo'xaxxi 'shoot an arrow or bullet into a hole'.  I have wondered if these aren't reflexes of the Siouan 'by shooting' instrumental prefix, with the initial consonant lost (Da wo, Wi bo Po mu). >

  This seems to be the same prefix used in Biloxi: o-, as in ok(i)taho = to knock down by shooting, which seems to be a compound of o- (by shooting) + k(i)the (hit) + taho (fall).

  For whatever that's worth.

  Dave

Rgraczyk at aol.com wrote:
      This is a late contribution to the 'wound' discussion.  I'm behind on my e-mail.

  uu' 'shoot, hit target' (uua' is the citation form)
  1 b-uu', 2 d-uu', 3 uu', 1pl b-uu'-o 2pl d-uu'-o 3 uu'-o (regular inflection)

  Lowie: ma u'-om = baa-uu'-o-m   baa 'indefinite object'; m 'different subject'

  akbareacu'packyo hawa'tem ba wu'k 'one of the Cheyenne (headcutters) I shot':
  The last word is clearly buu'k 'I shot'.  The ba is a puzzle, since the sentence has a lexical object and I wouldn't expect an indefinite here.  One remote possibility: uu' is (or was) a doubly-inflecting verb.

  u'ak: This is uu'-ak; ak is the same subject marker.

  oo'xpi 'wound, shoot at and hit' (citation form oo'xpe)
  1 b-oo'xpi 2 d-oox'pi 3 oo'xpi etc.  This is the regular inflection for vowel-initial verbs not accented on the first mora.

  It could be that oo- is a locative prefix, although these are regularly accented on the initial vowel in Crow: a', i', o'.  There are several other 'shooting' verbs in Crow with initial oo: oo'xeechi 'pierce through by shooting', o'oxexawi 'shot up' (stative), and oo'xaxxi 'shoot an arrow or bullet into a hole'.  I have wondered if these aren't reflexes of the Siouan 'by shooting' instrumental prefix, with the initial consonant lost (Da wo, Wi bo Po mu).

  Randy