"WOUND"

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Sun May 7 18:55:10 UTC 2006

In a message dated 5/7/2006 9:16:46 AM Mountain Standard Time, rankin at ku.edu
writes:
I wonder if we might be mixing ?oo 'shoot and hit' with o- 'into, within'??
It makes sense that this verb might well use the 'inside' locative prefix.
And if it often does, then the glottal stop would give the appearance of moving
to the right (as it does in Crow, Hidatsa and Mandan anyway).  So if we find
something like o?o, it probably involves the instrumental, not movement of [?]
to a syllable coda.  Movement only occurs in the North, where it seems to be
an areal feature.  IF we assume that [?] was part of the onset (an assumption
that may not be entirely justified), then it remains as part of the onset in
OVS and MVS but moves to the coda in MA, CR, HI.
The 'inside' locative prefix certainly fits the semantics of these 'shooting'
verbs.  And the movement of [?] to the syllable coda would account for the
long, high pitch in the Crow forms.

Randy