"WOUND"

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Mon May 8 17:24:56 UTC 2006

In a message dated 5/7/2006 3:47:23 PM Mountain Standard Time, rankin at ku.edu
writes:
That's interesting.  So the Crow rule(s) should actually be:

*?V  >  *V?  >  VV'  with the usual pitch-raising phonetic characteristics of
[?] showing up in place of the [?] itself.  Makes perfect sense to me.
I have found about a dozen stems where the Hidatsa has V'?V, and the Crow has
VV', e.g., Hi kure?e Cr kulee' 'keep'.  There are others, however, where Crow
preserves the accentual pattern of the Hidatsa while losing the glottal: Hi
ate'?e Cr asi'i 'appear', so the data is mixed.  In general, accentual patterns
in Crow and Hidatsa cognates are often unpredictible.  We have a lot to learn
in this area.

Randy