"WOUND"

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Mon May 8 18:07:59 UTC 2006

Yep, the relationship between accent, pitch, laryngeal and segmental features is a wide-open area in Siouan phonology.  I did a paper for one of the Mid America MALC volumes several years back in which I related V?V sequences (where the Vs are identical) to phonemic falling pitch, with examples from Ponca, Quapaw, Biloxi and a few from Hidatsa.  The Ponca cases provided very nice recorded examples in which the falling pitch "bottomed out" in the middle of a long or geminate vowel resulting in either [creaky voice] or [?] generated between the two halves of the VV sequence.  This often resulted in a "broken vowel", as SE Asianists like to call them.  So an earlier falling pitch (high pitch on the 1st mora) might be something to look at in phonetic [V?V] sequences.

Bob