tonal phenomena in the Siouan languages

Aspriska at aol.com Aspriska at aol.com
Tue May 9 15:24:40 UTC 2006

Hello everybody!

My name is Anthony (Tony) Kent.  Although I have had both the pleasure  and
benefit of
having corresponded with several of you in the past, I felt the time was
finally appropriate
to address you all.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend the
upcoming conference in
June, so this seems to be the best option.

I am an American who has been living and working in Europe for the past 20
years or so.
(I'm a professional musician: singer, pianist, conductor, teacher).   Last
year I completed
my masters in phonetics at the University of Hamburg, where I am now
beginning my
doctoral research.  The topic of my dissertation is

        "Tonal Phenomena in the  Siouan Languages".

Before dealing with actual phenomena observed in Siouan languages, I will
first be presenting
and comparing data on numerous tone and pitch accent languages.  I  hope that
this will
then shed a better light on just how to interpret what has been (or remains
to be) found
in Siouan.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance, advice, or suggestions anyone  may
wish to offer.
I am particularly keen on any tips regarding any of the Siouan languages,
but comments or
evidence regarding other tonal languages or pitch accent  languages -
especially those native
to North America - would equally be most welcome.

I wish you all a great conference and many thanks in advance for your time
and help!

Tony Kent