2006 SCLC: Announcement and Call for Papers

rwd0002 at unt.edu rwd0002 at unt.edu
Thu May 4 13:40:28 UTC 2006

Quoting Heike Bödeker <heike.boedeker at netcologne.de>:

> Dear Willem,
>
>> Sometimes [k] sounds very postvelar, like IPA [q], in the
>> environment of [a].  Compare Cree peyak [peyaq] 'one' (at least as
>> pronounced by Buffy Sainte Marie)
>
> Where is she from? Frankly I can't remember that, at least for the
> Plains and Montagnais varieties I came to hear.

Dear Heike:

According to the biography below, she was born on the Qu'Appelle Cree
reserve in Saskatchewan.

http://www.creative-native.com/biograp.htm

Our Algonquianist friends can surely tell us what the Cree dialect must
be on that reserve.

My contact with Cree is as limited as one can imagine: I heard Buffy
count on the mike before a performance on TV! Her pronunciation of the
[k] in peyak struck me.  I have done a fair amount of fieldwork on
Lakota, but can only remember this one Oglala friend with the [k] in
kaka that struck me. So it could all be coincidence and idiosyncratic
pronunciations.

Best regards,

Willem