Need help with name.

Rankin, Robert L rankin at ku.edu
Fri May 12 19:05:11 UTC 2006

This particular biologist, Kelly Kindscher, reelicited the H.K. Smith ethnobotany in cooperation with Kenny Funmaker's language program in Mauston several years ago and later published it in a botanical journal.  I had passed along a copy of the Smith MS to him.  This is a journal that requires abstracts in a second language, and in this case that language is Hocank -- probably a unique event!  The Nebraska tribe now wants him to help them obtain a better, and active knowledge and understanding of their tradition and he's agreed to help them.  He's the author of books on medicinal and food plants of the Prairie.

Bob