"WOUND"

Rgraczyk at aol.com Rgraczyk at aol.com
Sat May 13 17:23:17 UTC 2006

In a message dated 5/12/2006 10:02:52 AM Mountain Standard Time,
John.Koontz at colorado.edu writes:
The Crow theme vowel-citation forms do have a very "automatic" feel to
them, and since, as Randy mentioned, they are missing in Hidatsa, it is
unclear, within Crow-Hidatsa, whether Crow or Hidatsa innovates.  But, not
only are the theme vowel forms before suffixes suggestive within Crow, but
the suffixes in question seem to be cognate with suffixes in Mississippi
Valley Siouan that have the same behavior.  So, I think we can assume that
Hidatsa is the innovator, not Crow.  This whole area, however, is one that
involves either a small group of irregular relicts (as in Dakotan and in
some Omaha-Ponca cases) or a rather generalized, automatic situation (as
in Crow or Omaha-Ponca), so no doubt there is some work to be done with
it.
This is interesting.  John, what are the Mississippi Valley suffixes that
behave the same as the Crow suffixes that follow the citation form?

Randy